Foothills County was originally formed as the Municipal District (MD) of Sheep River No. 31 on January 1, 1954 through the amalgamation of portions of Improvement District No. 46 and the MDs of Highwood No. 31, Turner Valley No. 32, and Springbank No. 45. Its name was changed to the MD of Foothills No. 31 shortly thereafter on March 25, 1954. Foothills County assumed its present name on January 1, 2019.