Airdrie was first established as a railway siding in 1889 during the construction of the Calgary and Edmonton Railway, named for Airdrie, Scotland. Airdrie originated as a stopping point for steam trains next to Nose Creek. Only railway buildings existed until 1901 when the first farmhouse and barn was built, followed by a post office and store in that same year. The village of Airdrie was incorporated in 1909. The Nose Creek Valley Museum offers an overview of Airdrie's past and history.